JUBILEE PHOTO COMPETITION 2011/12
"A Year in the Life of Sonning & Sonning Eye"
And the Winner is.........
With the close contender (and the primary school's favourite).........
About the Competition
The Society organised this photographic competition as its contribution to the village celebrations of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. The theme was “A Year in the life of Sonning and Sonning Eye”. The idea: to capture life in the two villages between the Queen’s Birthday in 2011 and the Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012.
Competitors were asked to submit up to 12 images. The subject of the photographs must be taken within the specified dates in the parish of Sonning and within Sonning Eye in the area bounded by the Henley Road and the river. The Society was looking to record and remember the everyday as well as the significant events of the two communities, in other words anything from life on the village pond, through congestion at the lock, to snowdrops in the churchyard and the Remembrance Day parade etc.
A panel of judges (comprising David Woodward, Pam Glasspool, Norman Moulsley and Carole Rose) chose the best photo(s) in each group and the best 24 entries were displayed on our competition gallery and at the Village Show in September 2012. Society members were asked to vote online or in person at the Show.
- This competition is free and open to UK residents only.
- Photographs entered for the competition should have been taken within the parish of Sonning as well as Sonning Eye between the Henley Road and the river. They should also be taken between Monday 6 June 2011 and Tuesday 5 June 2012, the sixtieth year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- Whilst enhancement of photos is permitted the images must not be changed, added to or manipulated in any way.
- No more than twelve entries will be accepted per person. Entries should be submitted as an image file (ideally a JPEG file between 1MB and 2MB) for each entry. Where possible users of film cameras should obtain output on CD as well as prints and negatives. If CDs are supplied, these will not be returned unless requested.
- Each entrant must send a completed and signed entry form with their entry, giving details of the date and location at which each photograph was taken. The title for each entry is the name of a month. Each entry must be accompanied by a short sentence explaining why the competitor thinks the image represents a particular month. The entry form is available on the Society’s website http://www.sonning.org.uk.
- The deadline for receiving entries is 5pm on Saturday 30 June 2012, although earlier submissions will be welcome. Results will be announced at the Village Show in September 2012 (details to follow) and posted on the Society’s website.
- You must provide the Sonning & Sonning Eye Society with your name, address, telephone number or email if you wish to enter this competition. The Society will only ever use your personal details for the purposes of administering this competition, and will not publish them or provide them to anyone without your permission.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The prize(s) will only be as stated. There will be no cash alternatives.
- Your entries must be entirely your own original work, not defame anybody nor breach any copyright.
- If your photographs feature any person(s) in a way that they would be clearly identifiable, permission must be obtained from all involved (or their parents/guardians if under 18) using the Release Form available from the website or the address below.
- By submitting your photographs to the Sonning & Sonning Eye Society you agree to grant the Society, free of charge, the right to publish the photographs online and in all media as required.
- You agree to take part in any competition publicity if asked to do so.
- This competition is not open to members of the Education Panel of the Sonning & Sonning Eye Society or any of the judges for the best 12 photographs.
- The Sonning & Sonning Eye Society reserves the right to cancel this competition at any stage if deemed necessary in its opinion or if circumstances arise outside its control.
- The Sonning & Sonning Eye Society reserves the right to disqualify any entry that breaches any of these rules or to withhold a prize if in its opinion entries do not reach the required standard.